Although plaque or tartar buildup can happen to anyone, the risks greatly increase in those who do not thoroughly wash and clean their mouths on a daily basis. For a better understanding of the basics of plaque and tartar buildup, listed below are some important facts about them:
– Plaque is a sticky film that covers your teeth with a thin layer of debris and bacteria.
– If you do not remove plaque soon enough, it will harden into tartar, which can only be safely removed by visiting your dentist.
– Tartar buildup can greatly increase your risk for gingivitis, and eventually severe gum disease.
– If left unchecked, plaque can eventually cause tooth loss.
– Plaque buildup is a known cause of gum disease.
– Plaque buildup is one of the leading causes of cavities, as bacteria in plaque can convert sugars from foods into harmful acids that eat through tooth enamel.
– When treating plaque buildup, always remember to keep your teeth clean by brushing twice daily and flossing once per day.
Our team at Chalfont Dentistry focuses on a variety of plaque and tartar removal treatments to suit all your needs. If you would like an oral exam from Dr. Sindhu Gundabathula, please book an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in Chalfont, Pennsylvania. We can be reached at 215-583-2425. We can help you choose the right service for a brighter smile!